Saturday, September 24, 2011

Rowan "Many CofE clerics are smug, arrogant and conceited"

Here's the full quote

"I used to think that the vicars that I played or the exaggerated sketches that were written about clerics, were unreasonable satires on well-meaing individuals, but actually so many of hte clerics that I've met, particularly the Church of England clerics, are people of such extraordinary smugness and arrogance and conceitedness, who are extraordinarily presumptiuous about the significance of their position in society. I believe that all the mud that Richard Curtis and I threw at them through endless sketches that we've done is more than deserved."

Ouch.

Just to clarify, this is Rowan Atkinson*, in an interview in todays Times magazine, which you have to pay to look at. There's also a reaction piece in the main paper, which must have been one of the easiest things Ruth Gledhill has ever written: couple of bishop quotes, and then every religion correspondents speed-dial favourites, the National Secular Society (never knowingly under-quoted). 

Having had a bit of a pop at my fellow clergy (and myself) a couple of weeks ago, I can't argue with Rowan Atkinson, though I guess a vicar who's humble, loving and gracious probably wouldn't get so easily noticed. I'm re-reading Peter Kay's autobiography at the moment, and he speaks both of his faith in some kind of God, and the many aspects of his Catholic upbringing which nearly put him off completely.

Anyway, our Harvest Festival tomorrow, here's what happened to Rowan (warning: rude words)

PS What's the betting Anglican Mainstream repost this one without checking?

* you didn't seriously think Rowan Williams would say this, did you? Thought it, perhaps.....

1 comment:

  1. Its a strange thing, but I would have used that description about Rowan Atkinson!

    He's always seemed to me to be quite full of himself and a supercilious sort of individual.

    I've never liked his work as I think he relies to much on his characterisations, and not enough on real comedy acting talent.

    ReplyDelete