Jeremy - not his real name - had been at a vibrant evangelical church in Durham for a few years when he embraced ‘Affiming Laudianism’. ‘My city church was quite famous’ he tells us ‘as a former Archbishop of Canterbury had, in his more humble years, been vicar here and shown early success, not alas to follow him as he moved up the ladder. The church was, however, very demanding with all sorts of bible study groups and Alpha suppers. The people were also sniffy about robes.
-They were earlier than the Celts, so they must have been even more exotic and spiritual.
- They built Stonehenge.
- So they must have had druids.
- And the use of stones in worship. (We tend towards pebbles rather than 20 ton sarsen blocks. Easier to move).
- We like the word "folk". Makes you feel all comfy and arran-sweaterish.
- They probably had tea lights
- They were peaceful and gentle - except when massacring their neighbours to steal their wives and sheep.
- Even better - we don't really know very much about them at all. So anything we imagine they did - must be right.
(cartoon from ASBO Jesus)