Saturday, July 05, 2008

Quote Unquote

A couple of weeks ago at a clergy cricket match, a friend thanked me for what I'd said in the Church of England Newspaper. I was puzzled.

Thinking Anglicans cleared things up: a report on the quality of clergy had been quoted in the press, and I was one of many who joined in the debate in blogland. A comment I'd posted on the TA website had found its way into the CEN report.

At least one other blogger, and probably most people reading the article, assumed I'd been interviewed by the paper. I hadn't, and I've just sent off an email to ask whether this is what they normally do. I'm still happy with what I said, but things sound different in the context of a comments debate on a blog, compared to a quote in a newspaper article. It also raises questions for me about the quality and quantity of research for these articles, and journalistic etiquette.

If I get a reply, I'll post it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment