Monday, April 07, 2008

Lovely Links - Politics, Religion & Mission

A couple of good politics sites this morning. HT Wardman Wire (now back online) for the brand new Politics Home Blog, which sets a very high benchmark for political/news blog sites. It's easier for you to go and look than for me to describe it. They also link to some of Tony Blairs speech last week on religion, globalisation and society which is now on Youtube.

The latest Britblog Roundup links to several posts on the relationship of religion and society, scroll down to paragraph 4. It's very easy to confine your blog reading world to people you either a) agree with completely or b) make you laugh or c) blogs that I've safely pigeon-holed. Engaging with reasoned argument from people who think very differently, takes time and energy, but without it we end up in an intellectual ghetto, talking to ourselves.

Start the Week links to the latest Sheffield Centre bulletin on work among the elderly, which has a great story about a new 'fresh expression' church for the elderly housbound. If you thought fresh expressions was all about church for hoodies at 3am on a park bench, go have a read.

At the other end of the age spectrum, Care for the Family are running 2 conferences for toddler group leaders, one in Weston super Mare, the other in Durham. A report says: "The conferences will focus on teaching group leaders how to deal with tricky issues, the best methods to engage with the surrounding community, and real-life, practical plans that have been road-tested by other group leaders."

Finally a superb thought for the day, or perhaps longer, HT Madpriest.

If This Is Not a Place

If this is not a place where tears are understood
Where can I go to cry?

If this is not a place where my spirit can take wing
Where do I go to fly?

If this is not a place where my questions can be asked
Where do I go to seek?

If this is not a place where my feelings can be heard
Where do I go to speak?

If this is not a place where you will accept me as I am
Where can I go to be?

If this is not a place where I can try to learn and grow
Where do I just be me?
(Attributed to William J Crockett)

No comments:

Post a Comment