"There are several reasons for opposing [modern Church songs].
1) It's too new.
2) Secondly, it's often worldly, even blasphemous.
3) The new Christian music is not as pleasant as the more established style.
4) Because there are so many new songs, you can't learn them all.
5) It puts to much emphasis on instrumental music rather than Godly lyrics.
6) The new music creates disturbances making people act indecently and disorderly.
7) The preceding generation have got on perfectly well without it.
8) It's a money making scam."
The views of an American church leader. Guess the year.
Sorry, wrong again.
Tom Bullock (welcome to blogland Tom!) has the answer.
I've been trying to trace the authentic source of this story, to check it's not an urban myth, e.g.
here, but you can always trust a Welsh blogger to track down the truth about songs in church.