Sunday, November 02, 2008

SPCK Personal Data: Cambridge ok, Chester iffy

The following was posted on the SPCK/SSG blog today. Following the warning a few days ago about how much personal data (staff files, credit card records) might have been left lying around at one shop in the South of England, I thought it was worth reposting here:

I don’t like that picture of Cambridge (a picture posted here, on the rubbish left behind at the closure of the Cambridge SPCK) , makes my stomach sink every time I see it because I had to create it. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to put it all in a skip (because, of course, they hadn’t paid to have the rubbish collected) before i got fired all those months back.

I don’t know if it’s all still there but I did my best to make sure there was no personal data left in the pile, and any that i found is still (if it hasn’t been moved) in the single filing cabinet on the lower floor, due to be shipped to Bradford (or wherever the brewhole decided it should be kept).With regards to the paperwork in Chester, yes it was still there pre-firing, and I doubt he’s moved it at all. Yes, the temps have access to it, and no the filing cabinet isn’t locked. Don’t you just love this concept of ’security’?

The computers from all the closed shops as of end-of-sept have been kept in the basement in Bradford, none were sold on ebay (because that way my job and I didn’t do it, precisely for the reasons stated above) and any that were reused outside of the company were sold back to Booksolve to be wiped clean and sent on to whomever, so there’s nothing to worry about there.

There's info about the Durham shop paperwork in the comments thread here, I don't know whether the fact that Durham staff (apparently) haven't been paid means the business is running out of money, or whether this is a normal occurence. If it's the former, then I can't see how SSG/ENC/Third Space books can survive much longer. Which makes it all the more important to trace the money/accounts of the business, especially where pension contributions, legal fees and payments to obscure 'Orthodox' charities have ended up, and to do so quickly.

Whilst we're on the subject, no reply yet from either the Charity Commissioners or Mark Brewer. In fact, there are a lot of people who it would be nice to hear from.

1 comment:

  1. The Durham staff were paid - late. I have a different take. The Brewers care so much about the Durham staff that they forgot to pay them and had to be reminded to do so. Or maybe the Brewers have been told to leave Durham. Whatever way you look at it SSG is screwed.

    ReplyDelete