Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Blogging about mental illness

The last post quoting Alastair Campbell prompted this from the excellent echurch blog.

I know that I’ve touched on this issue before, but I need to get this off my chest. I have found it difficult to talk openly about this recently, because of the pernicious tactic of using my mental health issues against me

As a society we've gone from stigmatising homosexuals to celebrating them in the course of a generation. So I'm hopeful that we can do the same for people with mental illness, of whom there are far more. I was massively encouraged at a meeting in Yeovil College earlier today to discover that roughly 100 staff are (in pretty pressured jobs) voluntarily doing extra training modules on mental health issues. Now wondering about how we do something similar in local churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment