Sunday, September 08, 2013

Mended

“(Jesus) is never disgusted. He never says that anything – anyone – is too dirty to be touched. That anyone is too lost to be found. Even in situations where there seem to be no grounds for human hope, he will not agree that hope is gone beyond recall.

Wreckage may be written into the logic of the world, but he will not agree that it is all there is. He says, more can be mended than you fear. Far more can be mended than you know.”

Francis Spufford ‘Unapologetic'. 

(If you've not read it, imagine CS Lewis after several pints rewriting Schliermachers 'Religion: Speeches to its Cultured Despisers' - which short circuits rational disputes by talking about talking about how Christianity feels - ghost written by Malcolm Tucker. Actually, don't bother, just read it, astounding book.)

3 comments:

  1. Hi David. This book was recommended to me this week by a Christian friend at work. It sits downloaded on my Kindle waiting for me to finish the book I'm on but I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best books on the reality & relevance of Christian faith I've read for years. And one I'm very happy to recommend to thoughtful friends of any belief or persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how Spufford would take to being compared to Lewis after his criticism of Lewis's logic :).

    One of the main things I took from the book was that Spufford repeatedly argues that belief in God can't be determined from examining the evidence. Which seems to me the exact opposite of much modern teaching, e.g. Alpha, which takes a line like "the Resurrection is historical fact - how are you going to respond?". Interesting that such a clearly intelligent writer can draw such different conclusions.

    ReplyDelete