Friday, September 06, 2013

Coldplay - 'Atlas'. New Single, New Prayer?

some saw the sun
some saw the smoke
some heard the gun
some bent the bow
sometimes the wire must tense for the note
caught in the fire say oh
we're about to explode

carry your world, I'll carry your world

some far away
some search for gold
heaven we hope is just up the road
show me the way Lord because I
am about to explode

carry your world, I'll carry your world
carry your world and all your hurt

full track here.

Prayers are nothing new to Coldplay - here's UFO from Mylo Xyloto:
 Lord I don't know which way I am going
Which way the river's going to flow
It just seems that upstream I keep rowing
Still got such a long way to go
Still got such a long way to go

And that light hits your eyes

I know I swear we'll find somewhere
The streets are paved with gold....

and I predict that by Easter there'll be Youtube versions of Atlas intercut with scenes of the cross as Jesus carries the world and all our hurt (Isaiah 53). As with all Coldplay stuff, I never know whether the lyrics are finely crafted for deep meaning or recycled sentiments from previously released songs, or a bit of both. I like the idea that the song might be a dialogue with God, and when you think about Syria there might be a lot of people having this conversation with Him right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment