Saturday, December 09, 2006

press interest

Good to see this weeks Western Gazette, page 3 item on the youth cafe (as I type there are possibly up to 30 people in St. Peters hall, I don't really want to imagine what they're doing!!!), and a report on the Angel service a couple of pages further in. We may get a photographer to the latter on Sunday morning.

Outside my door is the sound of gaffa tape being applied as we try to design an 'Angel of the North' outfit for Christopher, age 20 months. To be strictly accurate, we would have to tape his legs and feet together and concrete him to a grassy mound, but I'm not sure he'd be too keen on that.

Have finally decided on a film clip to show during the service - partly down to what films I have available ('Dogma' is quite thought provoking but full of rude words, 'It's a Wonderful Life' not available in any local charity shop), so I've settled on 'City of Angels' (bizarrely, the official website has a picture of a beach full of angels, and then a massive picture of a bottle of Listerine. 'go figure', as someone younger than me might say). One really interesting thing is that Hollywood consistently shows angels as strong male figures, despite a cultural preference for angels as either cute children or long-haired females dressed in white. I still haven't worked out why.

Discovered a card shop in town, on the Quedam (naming no names, partly because they all look the same to me and I can't remember!) with a stand full of angel key rings. Resisted the urge to buy one. I wonder what the real angels think of our earthly efforts to represent them?

1 comment:

  1. If you need a copy of 'A Wonderful Life.' We've got one here if you need it. I hadn't seen it for a few years, and watched it over half-term. I'd forgotten what an excellent film it was.

    ReplyDelete