Thursday, February 02, 2017

Time to Talk Day

CS Lewis experience in his grief still strikes a chord.

“An odd by-product of my loss is that I’m aware of being an embarrassment to everyone I meet. At work, at the club, in the street, I see people, as they approach me, trying to make up their minds whether they’ll ‘say something about it’ or not. I hate it if they do, and if they don’t. Some funk it altogether. R. has been avoiding me for a week. I like best the well brought-up young men, almost boys, who walk up to me as if I were a dentist, turn very red, get it over, and then edge away to the bar as quickly as they decently can. Perhaps the bereaved ought to be isolated in special settlements like lepers.” ― C.S. LewisA Grief Observed

Today is 'Time to Talk' day. If you know someone who's struggling, message them and say hi. If you know someone who you suspect is struggling, but has never actually said so, message them too. So many people with mental illness fear what others will say if they admit to it. That's part of what the illness does to you. It's a hard thing to open up about mental illness, lets make it as easy as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't find a contact form! Sorry if this is a little unrelated, but I figured I would post this on your most recent blog. Have you, or would you consider, doing a post about study bibles? Our children are getting old enough that we've decided to start incorporating more biblical study than just Bible memorization and Sunday school. We're having a difficult time figuring out what type of study Bible to buy for our oldest in high school. There is only one homeschool site ( https://homeschoolbase.com/best-study-bible/ ) that has talked about it, but its more of a broad overview of study Bibles.

    ReplyDelete