Of course the true reasons was never revealed: that the card is simply wrong. It's clear that Santa Claus is a member of the landed aristocracy:
- He has his own deer
- He only visits ordinary houses once a year, but doesn't like to be seen doing so.
- He doesn’t know how to open the front door for himself
- Whenever he enters a house, he has a drink
- He dresses in velvet
- He’s easy to mimic
- He drives an open-topped vintage vehicle
- He lets someone else do all the hard work, but he's still the one with the title
- He talks in an English accent but is ethnically from mainland Europe
- He has lots of stuff but is only generous once a year, and only then in response to a mass letter writing campaign.
- He wears boots all the time
- His dress sense hasn't changed much since the 1950s
I hope that's cleared that up.