"The Word became flesh and pitched his tent among us" (John 1:14)
For the #Occupy Christmas sermon you will need:
- the above Bible text
- a tent
- a suitable banner ('what would Jesus do?' etc.)
and a sermon incorporating some or all of the following ideas:
- the Incarnation as a protest camp
- the Incarnation as a public conversation about change and justice
- attempts to evict Jesus by the ruling powers as he was getting in the way of normal commerce and politics
- Jesus' plan to Occupy everything and everyone
- the question of how many of us have pitched our tent next to Jesus, but then gone back home because it's more comfy there.
I have the first two items on this list, still working on the rest. Any thoughts welcome!