Saturday, October 14, 2006

listening habits

What to listen to whilst I empty boxes full of books and try to work out where to put them on my shelves?

- Cross rhythms radio online: ok, but every now and again some rap song will come along which I can't listen to. Thebandwithnoname may tick someone elses boxes, but sadly not mine.
- switched to radio 6, then some unlistenable indie song came on
- new wine worship CD (one of mine) - good, but sounds a bit tinny on the laptop, and somehow I find it hard to listen to the worship leaders extemporising between songs. It was probably great if you were there, but on a CD, again, I can't quite get into it.
- finally settle on 5 live, football stuff. Nothing world-shattering, but leaves enough space in my brain to think about what I'm doing, plus the ability to tune in if anything interesting happens.

but what do I need the noise for in the first place? Why is stacking shelves to background noise better than stacking shelves in silence? What is it about silence I'm uncomfortable with. Ok, there's a practical reason - it drowns out the kids if they're too noisy about the house - but I'm not sure if that's a reason or an excuse.

What is the difference between a reason and an excuse?

1 comment:

  1. Dear David,

    This isn't a comment on your blog of yesterday. it's just a thought I had this morning - that it is because I came to Christianity free from tradition I had a different view of religion and how it should be practised.

    "The Kingdom of God is within you."

    God bless. Renee.

    ReplyDelete