Tuesday, December 21, 2021

My name is Inigo Montoya, you sang 'O Come All Ye Faithful', prepare to explain

 


A few words I've sung in recent days where I doubt most of us had a clue what they meant, or thought they meant something else:

Abhor

Begotten/Very God Begotten Not Created

Hark

Yon/Yonder

swaddling

Shining Throng (careful)

Troll (the ancient yuletide carol.)

Riven

Ass

Babe

Cloven

Hither/thither

Sod

Godhead

Incarnate

Immanuel

Nowell

And that's before we've got to sin, salvation, saviour, Christ, and the actual important stuff. Is there a sweet spot between the Nicene Creed and mansplaining?

Though if anyone has written a carol with the word 'Inconceivable!' in it (which you could actually weave into the Christmas narrative) then I'm all for it. 

PS if this post makes no sense to you, then you need to watch The Princess Bride. 




1 comment:

  1. I might resemble this post, given I probably uttered them all at our Carol Service last Sunday.

    ReplyDelete